The Squamata Report: We Support You.mil

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

We Support You.mil

Support the Troops ....
and thank them in your own words!





"These are the times that try men's souls; The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly." Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, 1776. Stay the course, what we are doing is right and just. I am proud to serve with each and every one of you!
LCDR Martin Kerr, USN, Beacon, N.Y.





A friend of mine works for and is a member of a group called 'America Supports You'. They support the troops by joining with groups like: (Click photos for websites)


' The National Guard Youth Challenge Program'





"Homes for Our Troops"




' The USO'




and ' 4 The Troops'




They also held concerts to benefit the troops with special guests like Donald Rumsfeld.




Send your love and support!

Their support for American troops is unparalleled. You can find so many ways to send care packages and show your support. However, that is not all they offer. My favorite feature of the ' America Supports You' website is on the right sidebar. It makes it possible for you and I to send letters of support to American troops in Afganistan, Iraq, and all over the world.

You may think that you would have no place writing to them because you do not know anyone serving. That is absolutely no reason! Many of the letters sent were from people with no ties to the troops personally. Yet like you and I, they feel an enormous amount of gratitude and respect for them. These wonderful men and women who love thier country and put their lives on the line daily, love hearing from us. We can be sure of their apreciation for our correspondance by reading their replies on
http://www.americasupportsyou.com/ .
I wrote a letter of thanks and support a few weeks ago. Since then I have stopped by almost daily to read other's letters and the troop's response.
Below are a few of my favorite short letters from the site. If you support the troops and would love to express it in your own words, please stop in and set it on your favorites list. It is greatly rewarding, I promise!

----------------------------------------------------------

I am currently serving in Iraq and I want to thank you all for the support you give to the troops. I am grateful and I realize that I am blessed to have so many great people most whom I have never met supporting me and my fellow comrades. I miss the my loved ones back home and I cannot wait to return. So thanks again for all you do. Sincerely, SPC MCCall/3RD COSCOM
Chiquita MCCall/SPC/Army, Wetumpka, Ala.



Having just arrived to Iraq, it is clear of how important the messages from home and the support of the American People are. An invaluable tool that means so much to those away from friends and loved ones, doing a job that is unpopular and dangerous. To all those that send words of encouragement, messages of support, or simply a greeting to show those over here they are not forgotten about, with the utmost sincerity, I say, Thank You. Please do not feel your words aren't enough. They mean a great deal.
Graves, William A./E-6/U.S. Navy, Milan, Tennessee



I was talked out of joining the Armed Forces many times in my life. Finally, at the age of 32, I would not be denied in my desire to serve my community and my country as a member of the National Guard. Three years later, I am now deployed to Kosovo as a peacekeeper and have no regrets. Most of the people here are poor by our standards. They have experienced many atrocities in their lifetime as well as throughout their history. But they keep rebuilding and moving forward with their lives. What resolve!! They appreciate what most Americans take for granted. As we drive through towns, children smile and wave and run after us hoping we will throw them an MRE or candy. Shop owners will often offer to buy us coffee or a meal. (Our interpreters help us to politely decline without offending them, and we usually stop to buy at least coffee, if time permits.) Locals smile broadly and are eager for us to take our pictures with them. Many people just want to shake our hands. New homes and businesses are being built everywhere. Ethnic tensions ease a little more every day. Things like this make me proud to be a United States soldier. I only wish more of our own people at home were as kind. I wish more in America really and truly appreciated all that they have. I know I am more thankful with every day that I am here. I can't imagine what my Armed Forces brothers and sisters in Afghanistan and Iraq feel. We are so grateful to those who wish us well and send their heartfelt words of support. You really don't understand how much it helps our morale. Some of you say that "Thank You" doesn't say enough...But it does. THANK YOU, AMERICA!
Michael Wheeler/SPC/AR Army Nat'l Guard, Tuscaloosa, AL/Bentonville, AR




None of us soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines like being away from our families, but we are able to gather the strength it takes to do our jobs because we have friends and neighbors back home that treat our families as one of their own. Thank you for taking care of them in our absence.
MAJ Joe Funderburke, USMA '95, James I. O'Neill H.S. '89
Joe Funderburke/Major/Army, Highland Falls, N.Y.



Thanks to T. Hull for pictures.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amen Aaron. Those who say they support the troops and not their effort are not fooling anyone. It is impossible to be on two sides of the fence at once!

3/22/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww that ' we remember ' picture is amazing. i <3 it and <3 our troops!!!!!! thank ya'll sooo much!

3/22/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad to know that you heart the photo and our troops Chera. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Hope to see ya around.

3/22/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken,
This post was purely engrossing. My best friend from childhood, Chris, was in the war in Iraq and the battle of Falluja.
Ever since 911, he was called into war, and fought bravely with his fellow troops (obviously, he could tell you more about it than I can.)
I was worried that this combat experience would change him dramatically, because of trauma or flashbacks or whatever.
When he came home, after he served his 4 years and I heard his voice on the other end of the line, I cannot describe the sheer bitter sweet relief to here him in the same tone in which he addressed me when he would call me when we were kids to go ride bikes.

"What the f--- is up man?! Let's go to UDF and throw spitballs at people!"
Yep, same old Chris.
When I heard this, the same thing he always said, before promptly hanging up the phone and jumping on his BMX Dyno to come meet me at the creek behind the golf course, I cried harder than I had ever cried since my grandfather passed away.
I can honestly say that I don't think I could function if I found out that my best friend had been killed.

On the whole issue of supporting the troops, but not the war, I agree AND disagree with certain aspects of the debate.
I think my liberal AND conservative constituents as well as myself, are opposed to any war, but unfortunately, sometimes war is neccessary and inevitable.

I will agree with the conservatives on the notion that Saddam had to be taken out, even though even Bush Sr. thought his son's administration was making a big mistake. I'm with you guys on that one. Saddam was a bad guy.
But America's future powers have got to get out of the habit of pre-emptively supporting these dictators, in order to avoid unnessessary future conflicts, because ultimately, no one wants war just to wage war and I think we can all agree on that.
However, I must disagree with the notion that in order to support the troops, you must support the war.
Here's why I believe this -
Whether or not it was Bush's fault that we went in on faulty intellegence isn't the issue, I don't care about that anymore. Mistakes happen, right?
But when you continually switch motus operandi, it confuses the public, especially us liberals, because we're just that stupid.
First it was Saddam had ties to Al-Queada.
That's fine and dandy. I was behind the president at that point.
Then it was weapons of mass destruction. Well, take Saddam out, then!
Okay, no WMD's.
Then it was the liberation of Iraq.
The Bath (Bathe? how do you spell that?) party has fallen.
So who now is the enemy? Is Al-Quada recruiting old Saddam loyalists or are we? Are the civilians rising up against our occupation? Were we really greeted as liberators?
And then I hear all this stuff about Bush and his crony contractor buddies, ripping off the troops, not providing them with proper body armor, or vehicle modifications, food and medical supplies are being gauged?
And all the while I'm sending food, toiletries and letters of support to my friend Chris and his Marine buddies (which I met in the winter of '03, and their tough as nails, and great patriots).
Something doesn't sound right.
I think the war is a progressive process, which could explain all the inconsistancies of our MO in Iraq, but why all the faulty intellegence?
My stance is this - I supported and will continue to ALWAYS support the brave men and women who fight and die for this country, because they WILL sacrifice their life for us.
All they ask, is that you put them in harms way only if it is absolutely neccessary.
Trust me - you can support the troops, they're just following orders, as they're trained. But you don't have to agree with the current powers that be's intentions.
Absolutely a tear jerking post, Ken. I like where your heart is.

3/31/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G-d bless and protect and save each and everyone of you. My 5 min VICTORY PSALMS audio tape is on writingsetc.com. It has helped bring about some miracles I was told (during the Gulf War, and in other situations too.) Please try downloading it (FREE), and let our troops hear it,chain e-mail ,share, so that the spiritual waves within it will reach all over and help now too. Keep picturing all the parades in America for you when you come home soon, with G-d's help! Luv Paulette

4/30/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In celebration of America's Independence Day, this Tribute To U.S. Troops, by Sher Zieve in The Post Chronicle, is the finest tribute to our nation I've found in the news today:

Although our school children have been taught over the last 40 years or so that the 4th of July is a school holiday, much of the time they are not taught the real purpose of the celebration. Other than just a day off from school and a chance to make noise by setting off fireworks, the real purpose for the merriment goes to the root and heart of the establishment of our country.

On the 4th of July 1776, the United States of America was born. It was on this date that We The People officially claimed our independence from Britain and a Democratic Republic was born. Those brave men and women who have chosen to protect, fight and even die for our republic know the real significance and meaning attached to it. It is not the 4th of July. It is Independence Day -- an independence that was and is drenched in the blood of our citizens who were and are willing to die for freedom from tyranny, and to maintain liberty.

Those fighting to preserve the freedom and sovereignty of the United States of America have courageously chosen their sacrifices -- so that the rest of us can live and sleep in the security of knowing that we will wake up to new days filled with new promises for the fulfillment of our lives. Those troops fighting to keep wars away from the USA are well aware of their importance to the survival of our country. I applaud, revere and pray for their courage and their lives.

However, today a darkness is creeping ever steadily and relentlessly over our country. Now, not only do our troops have to face foreign enemies to our culture, belief in self-determinism and freedom, but they must also face a homegrown hostile press and other anti-liberty groups that have renewed their efforts to denigrate those who have sworn to die for their rights -- the rights of those who would affect said denigration.

For those soldiers reading this, please know that there are many -- many more of us than there are of them. We support both you and the light of liberty; no matter how it appears to be dimming. We the people know that no matter how far those bent upon destroying that liberty (either foreign or homegrown) and our country seem to be progressing, one of the basic fires contained within the heart of humankind is the need for the soul to be free. One way or the other, it will ultimately survive. We the people know that freedom is not free. The words thank you are not and can never be enough. I pray that God continues to bless you.

And to those members of the mainstream press who continue to say they support our troops but, actually fight against our soldiers, I ask a question. It is a question posed by the presidential character from the movie Deep Impact that I feel is highly applicable. I know you're just a reporter. But, you used to be a person. Right?

God Bless America, and God Bless Our Troops!

7/04/2007  
Blogger JessiLee said...

I just want to take the time to say Thank you to our troops. I appreciate all yall are doing and sacraficing for us! My husband is in the military too and I know what the life is like on the military side of things! So I want to Thank You from the bottom of my heart! We love yall!

12/18/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

LIVE AMBER ALERTS