The Squamata Report: A little girl and her angel

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A little girl and her angel



In October of last year this young Iraqi girl was discovered after her parents and most of her siblings were shot and killed. Despite receiving extensive gunshot wounds to her head she issued an opprobrium to her would-be assassins by living. Despite their attempt to snuff her precious little life out, God was with her and soon he would comfort her through one of his proxies here on Earth.

After being treated by the 22nd Wing Medical Group in Balad, she was uneasy and terrified. The shock to her head caused her great pain. Moans and grunts of discomfort plagued her early recovery. Though she rejected the comforting touch of other people, she somehow latched onto Master Sgt. John Gebhardt.


"People see him as this tough guy," his wife said, "but I always see that other side of him that is full of compassion."

Sgt. Gebhardt, a father himself, says his children have grown up and have outgrown his cradling naps. "I got as much enjoyment out of it as the baby did........I reflected on my own family and life and thought about how lucky I have been", said the Master Sgt who often took naps with her in the chair.

He decided that holding a baby who needed comforting would free up another set of arms to be used to care for more critical patients. "If I have an opportunity to help out, I look for that opportunity," he said. "They had more than enough to do."

He's a New York Native and says of his 27 year career, " I wouldn't change a thing.....If I had to do it over again, I would sign up and give it another ride." The father of two is now back home with his family at McConnell AFB in Wichita, Kansas.

Mr. Gebhardt is one of more than 800 volunteers at the hospital. As far as I am concerned that makes him one of more than 800 angelic heroes at the hospital. God bless all the men and women who give their mind, body and soul to help free and secure our brethren half a world away.

Watch Video Here

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You're right MM. I liked this story so much I had to rewrite it and share it with everyone I could because John is a shining example of and represents so many wonderful people serving our great nation both here and in harms way.

2/06/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

LIVE AMBER ALERTS